Participants in the RYLA camp are divided into "families". Camp counselors are the families parents for this camp experience. They help the participants bond as a family, help reinforce the experiences through family discussions, and accompany the family members as they participate in a variety of leadership, personal growth and citizenship experiences.
What You've Signed Up For
As a facilitator, you're there to help the students discover for themselves - not to tell them how to do things. You help them navigate communication, teambuilding, and personal reflection. The activities largely do the rest. We have motivational speakers, ShelterBox disaster relief simulation/teambuilding activities, high ropes course (zip line!), local community service planning, and even a dance party in the woods!
RYLA is a district-wide opportunity to bond with Rotarians, Rotaractors, Interactors, and potential members. More importantly, it is a fulfilling and memorable way to experience why Rotary is so important.
What You Get:
Food, lodging, RYLA t-shirt, RYLA sweatshirt, RYLA bandana, RYLA waterbottle, new friendships and fun!
RYLA Co-Directors Contact Information
What to bring to RYLA
- Warm jacket, gloves and a warm hat
- Water resilient, warm walking shoes and lots of socks
- Comfortable jeans, sweats or casual pants
- Warm long-sleeved shirts, sweaters, and sweatshirts, as well as short sleeved t-shirts if it is warm (There may be rain or sun, so pack accordingly)
- Changes of under clothes
- Sleep wear
- Flashlight, chap-stick, rain gear, travel alarm, sunglasses, or hat
- Toiletries, soap, shampoo and conditioner, bath towel
- Sleeping bag and pillow
- Camera, notebook, pen or pencil
- A sense of humor
- Pack all your gear in a duffle bag or other suitable luggage (You may have to carry it up to 100 yards)
What NOT to bring to RYLA
- i-Pods/Music Players*
- Video Games*
RYLA / Rotary is not responsible for any lost or missing valuables.
*The Camp Directors, counselors or dorm Parents will collect any of the above items or similar items if seen being used during camp and return them at the conclusion of camp. Phones and music players are not allowed during camp activity time. Any electronic device seen between breakfast and sleep/dorm time will be confiscated and returned at the end of the day. If there is an EMERGENCY during the day and parents need to contact their child, they can contact the Camp Directors.